This year marked the sixth year we’ve participated in Operation EDITH in our community schools. Operation EDITH (Exit Drill In The Home), is a program started in 1996 by the Independent Insurance Agents of North Carolina that encourages families to establish an escape plan in their homes in case of a fire. During Fire Prevention Week earlier this month, Sara visited schools both in Haywood and Buncombe counties. The kids enjoyed learning about fire safety through games, stories and activities. Sara stressed the importance of kids’ creating an exit plan with their families and using the “get low and go” technique in the event of a fire. To learn how to protect your family, see the list below and watch our videos to find out more about Operation EDITH. If you would like Sara to visit your classroom, call, (828) 226-2715 or email, email@example.com.
Fire Safety: 5 Ways to Keep Your Family Safe
- Talk to your kids about staying safe.
- Create and practice an exit plan with your family.
- Establish a meeting point outside the home and make sure all members of your family know where it is.
- Teach your child to “get low and go” to stay away from smoke and make a quick exit.
- Test your smoke detectors regularly.